Thursday, June 26, 2008

PSA: Be sure to anchor your furniture!

Yesterday, during Isaiah's speech therapy, Debbie and I were catching up in the living room, while the kids had run into the playroom. All of a sudden, we heard a *crash*, followed by screaming. I ran in there as fast as I could, and found the dresser had fallen over... with a little arm sticking out from under it. It had fallen ON Isaiah! I screamed at Debbie to help me lift it up (it wasn't heavy, but the drawers were falling out, making it awkward to lift). It took a little while for Isaiah to calm down as he was obviously stunned, but fortunately he was okay. Just a little bruise on his arm that arnica took care of within a few hours. It could have been a LOT worse. I still feel like bawling whenever I think of pulling him out from under it- not knowing how broken his tiny body would be. I'm guessing that the kids had simply opened all the drawers, thus making it front-heavy. Fortunately, I've been seriously slacking on laundry, so the drawers were mostly empty. If they had been full- it would have been that much heavier. Thomas will be anchoring the dresser to either the wall or floor (depending on whether there is a stud behind it), as well as bookshelf. I urge you to look around the house and do the same to any furniture that could possibly tip over (either by something as innocent as opening drawers, or with a little more force such as the monkey-antics toddlers are known for).

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm so glad he wasn't hurt. I had a bookcase fall on me as a little girl (I was a climber) and it hit my lower back and hurt me pretty bad. I also climbed on my play kitchen as a little girl, fell and have a scar on my forehead to this day!!

Issy said...

I am so glad he's ok! We bought one of those dressers that has catches for her room because of this-and I used to forget it wouldnt let me open all the drawers when I put laundry away, deiving me insane. Now I am glad! But then Lydia doesnt seem to be as adventureous as other kids either lol.

rustic said...

Rustic Living Room Furniture sets augment the overall beauty of any room. With various room decoration items and gadgets flooding the market, it may sometimes be very confusing as what furniture’s to select for your living rooms - furniture’s which suit your tastes, match your room's environment and of course meet your budget! However, rustic furniture sets have an all-time appeal because of their simple yet versatile designs and light-weight (can easily be shifted from one room to other). http://rustic-living-room-furniture.blogspot.com

nobossame said...

I came across this blog while trying to find an anchor online. Your son is very fortunate that he was not badly hurt. I know of a two year old girl who died from her dresser falling on her. It was absolutely devastating...and so preventable. I don't think parents realize how dangerous heavy furniture can be.

james said...

http://www.momi.it is a specialized website that satisfies a whole range of mobili per ufficio (office furniture) requirements, namely, walls, partitions, chairs, tables et al.. A complete rejuvenation of your office interior is possible just by coming in touch with the website and placing your order. Get hold of Momi`s furniture solutions for an attractive look to your office interior!