Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy Solstice / Holidays / New Year's!

Wow, it's been forever since I've updated, hasn't it? Sorry! Just been busy with the holiday chaos, working on custom orders, etc. I did sit down New Year's Eve, signed into Blogger, and had every intention of squeezing in a last-post-of-the-year... but then Isaiah started violently puking on me. So, that attempt was quickly aborted. (The excitement never ends around here!)
I know every is sick and tired of everything Christmas, so I'll try to keep this part of the update short and sweet. We celebrated the Winter Solstice by baking a peach pie with a sun motive. Unfortunately, it looked a lot better than it tasted. We used frozen peaches that picked this past summer, and it made it too mushy for my liking. We also made a wreath using evergreens (actually just the clippings from our Xmas tree). I never done anything like that before, and it's harder than it looks. I'll spare you a photo of my lowly wreath, though. I have it hanging in the kitchen. If it holds up, I'm going to save it and burn it in our Summer Solstice bonfire.
As far as the rest of the holidays, it was chaotic as usual. It was great visiting family, though, expecially my dad and stepmom. We hadn't seen them since this past July! The Littles got SO many presents. Fortunately, the majority of them weren't the annoying, battery-operated kind that I despise. Lots of books, blocks, bath toys, art supplies.
Here's a picture of the kids on Christmas morning. As you can see, Abbie was quite literally bursting at the seams with excitement. Isaiah was a little dazed and confused, but he still had a blast! Abbie is sporting her new Buzzy Bee knitted hat, that I bought from THIS Etsy seller. She's also wearing her new backpack, but that truly deserves a post of it's own, so I'll wait to rave about that. Other than seeing the sheer delight on my children's faces, my favorite gift would have to be the pair of binoculars that my mom gave me. She's turning me into a bird-watching addict, just like her! And, her beau gave me a Birder's Life List & Diary. Now I can keep track of all the species of birds that I see! To top it off, my sister gave me a gorgeous cedar suet feeder. Hopefully I can attract some nuthatches and woodpeckers soon. I hope everyone else had a wonderful holiday season. I have so much more to post, but I figure I'd break it up into smaller entries. I promise I'll write more soon!

No comments: